[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Beats • View topic - Beats 1.4 - Some technical stuff

Beats 1.4 - Some technical stuff

Ideas for the next release go here. Check the ToDo list before posting.

Beats 1.4 - Some technical stuff

Postby Stasis on Jan 16th, '11, 04:50

I know some of these are hard to fix, but still it will help if you implement/fix these.

1. Holds

Holds are inded working relatively well. I enjoyed the holds implementation, however there are some dodgy things about it. The last part of the hold ends with an arrow, and this make it very confusing when there are multiple arrows of the same direction. Also, after playing with the holds for awhile, if you let go just at the last moments of the hold to prepare for the next arrow, the hold will fail, which is not usually the case of DDR (which letting go of the arrow at the last moment is fine.).

2. Arrow customisation

Some screens are larger and some screen are smaller. Some fingers are larger and some fingers are smaller. It is best if we can shift the arrows by ourself and into a more comfortable position sometimes. Also, hopefully next time there is some form of upsizing/downsizing in terms of the arrow size (and increasing the hitbox as well).

3. Accuracy Judgement

I realised you removed this feature (as I cannot find it in the settings.). Back in Beats 1.3, I am relatively used to playing HARD judgement rather than NORMAL judgement. So hopefully in the next update this option could be placed back as well.

4. Drills (aka same repetitive arrow in succession)

Just thinking, maybe instead of limiting the hitbox in the arrow display, we can have the hitbox to be throughout the track.

Example:

The whole box is the hitbox instead of the original arrow buttons.

With this layout, people can switch to 2 fingers to do the drills instead of one.

This is also a potential suggestion to flip the scroll to upwards (and retaining the hitbox at the bottom.) :D

5. Increasing performance of low-end device

This is just a request, but I hope there are new ways to allow low-end devices to run smoothly.

6. Mass arrow lag

When pressing a lot of arrows, there are potential misses sometimes due to lag. :?

Regardless of this, I still really enjoyed the game and hope there are improvements which make the gaming experience better, :P
Stasis

Re: Beats 1.4 - Some technical stuff

Postby keripo on Jan 18th, '11, 18:32

keripo
Site Admin

Postby Stasis on Jan 20th, '11, 02:01

Stasis

Postby keripo on Jan 20th, '11, 02:43

keripo
Site Admin

Postby Stasis on Jan 20th, '11, 08:17

Stasis

Postby keripo on Jan 22nd, '11, 03:32

Landscape layout has been added and the old Beats 1.3b accuracy level setting has been returned.

http://beatsportable.com/2011/01/beats-1-4-1b/

Looking into the other stuff still.

Enjoy!

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby Zurek on Jan 22nd, '11, 18:15

Hello and sorry for my bad english :D

I have miss arrow bug, in game i tap on arrow and i see perfect (or a another good comunikate) and is all good but 1-2 sec leter this same arrow changed from - perfect to miss. Wtf? In beats 1.3 i dont have this problem :p i have this bug on 1.4 and1.4.1

Ps. Tested on samsung i5700
Zurek

Postby burdik on Jan 23rd, '11, 03:15

I've already told Keripo bout this bug, he said he'll look into this
as 4 me, teh bug became less annoying in the update
-=Russia is very large and cold place somewhere in the Arctics, inhabited by drunken bears firing nukes left, right and center.=-
burdik

Postby keripo on Jan 31st, '11, 02:33

Just a few updates on the current development of Beats (after 1.4.2b, will be released as 1.5b):

Holds: The release window will be increased, Matt is working on that (along with a few other fixes for holds).

Arrow/layout/tapbox customization: See the update on tapboxes: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=294

Accuracy Judgement: 1.4.2b reverted things to roughly the same as the old 1.3b accuracy judgement, but tweaked a bit, and also added back the changeable Judgement setting. There was a weird miss bug that I forgot to fix which could potentially allow for an unbroken combo even when notes are missed (combos don't actually change scores, but still). The bug has been fixed.

Drills: Still don't know exactly what these are so can't really do much with them. As of the moment, the last note style planned to be implemented are mines - after that, gameplay functionality will be done.

Lag/performance: See the update on optimizations: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=290

Songs: Haven't received any complaints with Lisek's song pack yet, so gonna stick with that for Beats 1.5b.

Landscape mode: Was added in 1.4.2b, a few issues/crashes for them fixed later.

Older devices: So far, we've gotten roughly $100 worth of surplus money from ads and $40 from "Beats (Donate)" downloads (for every donation via the Market, however, only 70% of it actually goes to us). That's barely enough to buy an old, functional Android phone for Matt to test things with. Probably gonna wait a bit til we get more donations while we search for a cheap deal. Its really hard to test and optimize Beats for older devices when we don't actually have one on hand to see and understand the problems.

Miss bug: After poking around, we discovered that the bug is due to lag from the garbage collector. It is being worked on. See the update on optimizations: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=290

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions