osu! Mod – Work in Progress!

News and releases of Beats will be posted here.

osu! Mod – Work in Progress!

Postby keripo on Feb 5th, '11, 05:48

One thing I've noticed many of my users requesting/mentioning is support for osu! files or a separate osu! port/clone all together. I'm a big fan of rhythm-based music games (mostly StepMania, Beatmania IIDX, and DJ Max) but I actually haven't tried much osu! style games (I tried Elite Beat Agents a few times on a friends' DS but thats the extent of things). After downloading the latest version of osu! and trying out a few beatmaps, I convinced myself that modifying Beats some bit could definitely lead to a new Ouendan-style gameplay. Eventually, I could make a proper, full-fledged osu! clone - Beats was always meant to be more than just a StepMania clone after all!

I hacked around with Beats a bit and got quite a nice osu! mod implemented. Pretty much instead of having the notes scroll down as arrows in normal StepMania-style, the notes appear as tap-able circles in random locations on the screen. The circles fade in with a focusing ring around like in osu!. Tapped notes will turn into a explosion/shout-box image while a missed note will turn into a red X. Currently the co-ordinates of these taps are randomized but will actually follow actual patterns in the future (Matt is currently working on an arc-pattern generator). No slides/spinners/etc. yet (its just simple timed taps) but I may try to implement that later by hacking up what is used for StepMania-style holds.

Beats, Advanced Rhythm Game - 1.5a osu! Mod (Work in Progress!) [Android]

The structure/backbone is there and close to ready for an actual osu! clone - one step at a time though xD. Support for osu! beatmaps (.osz format) is planned, but probably not before the major Beats 1.5b release (for which I still have to stop slacking off on adding .dwi support). The major barrier would really be me not actually understanding what I'd be parsing - for that, I'd have to play osu! a bit more :D

For those who are curious and anxious to test things out on their own Android phone, you can grab the latest development build here:
http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/beats-r330.apk

Note that the development build uses a different signature, so you must first uninstall any official release before trying the dev build. The development build also includes a lot of new stuff/updates (it's pretty much like 1.4.9/pre-1.5b), some of which aren't 100% complete yet (no hitbox graphics have been added yet, for example, so to see the hitboxes for the different tapbox layouts, you must enable 'Advanced Settings > Debugging > Tapbox Debugging'). When they are ready, however, you can look forward to an official Beats 1.5b release ; )

The current discussion thread on the osu! forums can be found here:
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45173

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Re: osu! Mod – Work in Progress!

Postby Stasis on Feb 5th, '11, 11:53

YAY a beta of 1.5

Already had a few technical stuff going though.

1. Cannot start game with fullscreen on. It force closes.
2. No option to shift the arrow display down like the previous builts, hard to play on landscape. :?
3. Osu buttons came out delayed. Hard to get it on timing.

Will have other problems posted here as well.
Stasis

Postby keripo on Feb 7th, '11, 08:04

Stasis wrote:YAY a beta of 1.5

Already had a few technical stuff going though.

1. Cannot start game with fullscreen on. It force closes.
2. No option to shift the arrow display down like the previous builts, hard to play on landscape. :?
3. Osu buttons came out delayed. Hard to get it on timing.

Will have other problems posted here as well.

1. Nice catch. Accidentally broke full screen when I added on-the-fly rotating. Fixed now.
2. I realized that I broke that as well a bit after posting, fixed as well ; P
3. Can you describe this a bit more in detail? Try turning on Auto-Play; is the timing still off? I always have a hard time being able to tell what someone means when they say "the timing is off" - sometimes its the phone itself, sometimes its the app, and sometimes its the person xD

Tapbox images have also been added and Matt has finished with some internal optimizations (with all graphical settings at max, I run games at ~40-45 FPS right now, 55 FPS with background image smoothing turned off, and 57 FPS with no background image). I should probably set up a Google Group or something with a list of testers when 1.5b gets released...

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby xwingace on Feb 8th, '11, 12:17

I basically wound up here because of this mod; it is awesome. The regular game is a lot of fun, too.

One thing I've noticed in Osu! mode, though, is that sometimes misses are generated because hitboxes of subsequent notes overlap? So that I hit the second one, but not the first.

Or it might just be me sucking, but it happens a bit to often for me to be *that* bad....

XWA
Anti-spam mod. PM me if you think I missed something.
xwingace

Postby burdik on Feb 8th, '11, 12:30

yep, seems like the second tapbox overlaps the first one or is "on top" of it so it gets tapped :?
-=Russia is very large and cold place somewhere in the Arctics, inhabited by drunken bears firing nukes left, right and center.=-
burdik

Postby keripo on Feb 8th, '11, 15:31

xwingace wrote:I basically wound up here because of this mod; it is awesome. The regular game is a lot of fun, too.

One thing I've noticed in Osu! mode, though, is that sometimes misses are generated because hitboxes of subsequent notes overlap? So that I hit the second one, but not the first.

Or it might just be me sucking, but it happens a bit to often for me to be *that* bad....

XWA

As far as I can interpret my own code (keep in mind that I coded probably 70% of the osu! Mod code 7am in the morning, having pulled an all-nighter), beats and hitboxes are drawn in reverse, but checked in sequence. That means that if a beat was added chronologically earlier than another beat, your tap will register for the first beat who's hitbox contains your tap. Meaning if there's two overlapping beats, you will have to tap twice to remove both. First tap removes the earlier beat, second tap removes the beat on-top (which makes sense to me at least, but I'm no osu! player xD).

The best way to test this, of course, is to just turn on Auto-Play and watching the sequence of hits. Assuming your phone doesn't lag, osu! Mod's Auto-Play should always max-combo songs with 100% accuracy.

Still waiting on Matt to finish the pattern code before working on the osu! Mod any further for the time being. And no, its not just you - random patterns are @#$%n hard (compared to normal DDR-style gameplay xD)

On a side note, Google group has been created, see http://beatsportable.com/updates

Edit:
NEVERMIND! There was a bug, which was quickly realized after Matt added preliminary patterns. It has been fixed. Here's two screenshots of the work-in-progress pattern generator:
ImageImage
Matt is currently working on improving the arc ranges as well as maybe adding linear patterns (instead of just arcs). I'll be working on add on number counts. Once those are done, 1.5b will be available for final testing (through the Google group), then officially released.

Complete randomization, however, will still remain as an option, for the lolz.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby keripo on Feb 10th, '11, 03:20

The tap fixes bugs were also fixed and accuracy windows adjusted such that getting an A on a song is actually possible. Background filtering has been turned off by default (you may have to turn Reset Settings on once) so your background image may be a bit more pixellated, but your FPS will easily exceed 40 (thus, smoother gameplay).

But more importantly, numbers and explody-rings!

Get the latest development build from the Google group!

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby keripo on Feb 13th, '11, 05:39

Beatmap generator complete. Patterns include lines, semicircles, full circles, V's, Z's, and W's.

Get the latest development build from the Google group!

I'll post a video of osu! Mod gamplay later.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Beats Updates