Tapbox Layouts and Scroll Up

News and releases of Beats will be posted here.

Tapbox Layouts and Scroll Up

Postby keripo on Jan 31st, '11, 02:17

One of the most requested features for Beats is different tapbox layouts (aka the area where you tap to hit falling notes). Ever since Beats 1.0a, notes always fall down from the top of the screen to the arrows at the bottom, with the tapboxes being invisible rectangles on top of the arrows. This is akin to the Beatmania/DJ Max "reverse" scroll where notes fall down and the same setup I've always used when I play StepMania (for which I usually play with 3.0x, Reverse, Notes+ and Dark modifiers). The majority of new users, however, are only familiar with DDR-style scrolling up and a D-pad like arrangement. And so after playing around with the code, I've added two new settings that will be available in the next major Beats release (1.5b): "Direction" (scroll direction of notes) and "Tapbox Layout" (arrangement of tapboxes).

Settings
Image Image

The current placements are as followed (keep in mind that the grey boxes are just temporary placeholders that will be replaced with actual pad graphics once I get around to making some). The "Tapbox Overlap" and "Tapbox Placement" (previously called "Arrow Placement") settings control the size and Y-axis shifts of these boxes.

D-Pad and Standard layouts w/ Standard/Up scroll
ImageImage

Reverse-V and Fullscreen layouts w/ Standard/Up scroll
ImageImage

D-Pad and Standard layouts w/ Reverse/Down scroll
ImageImage

Reverse-V and Fullscreen layouts w/ Reverse/Down scroll
ImageImage

These will be the new tapbox layouts you can expect to see in Beats 1.5b (which, as you can see in the FPS counters in the screenshots, is much faster and smoother).

Any other possible layouts you guys would like to see?

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Re: Tapbox Layouts and Scroll Up

Postby Imtifade on Feb 1st, '11, 22:23

liking the fullscreen tap box but I won't use the rest but great additions tho. keep up the good work. The more options the better. I would like to see a fully customizable tap area tho and is there any word on score loop integration?

Edit: what is happening with landscape?(that's what I play on.)
wow second most active forum member. well......
Imtifade

Postby keripo on Feb 2nd, '11, 06:05

Imtifade wrote:liking the fullscreen tap box but I won't use the rest but great additions tho. keep up the good work. The more options the better. I would like to see a fully customizable tap area tho and is there any word on score loop integration?

Edit: what is happening with landscape?(that's what I play on.)

I don't plan on adding customizable tap areas for the time being as those tap layouts would pretty much cover everything (especially considering that they can be tweaked via the tapboxYOffset and tapboxOverlap settings to shift their Y coordinates as well as their size). If there's somehow enough request for customizable tap areas, I may try adding a customizer, but that would be very, very low priority compared to the many other things that need to be done.

These also work fine with landscape mode. The only one that may be funky is D-pad, which, when used with landscape, pretty much ends up right in the middle of the screen. I really can't imagine anyone using the D-pad layout outside of with portrait, standard/up scrolling (like in the first image), however.

Scoreloop is probably going to be put off til 1.6b since there's so much new functionality being added in 1.5b I'm worried that tweaking is needed to prevent imbalanced/cheated scores (and thus a broken scoreboard). Especially with the new osu! mod I am working on at the moment.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby Zurek on Feb 2nd, '11, 12:24

WOOOOT! Osu mod! XD yeah! Great idea :D Osu rlz!
Zurek

Postby Patashu on Mar 10th, '11, 22:46

only thing missing is dualshock mode :D
Patashu

Return to Beats Updates