More like a report :s

Suggestions that have been implemented as of the latest release.

More like a report :s

Postby pluri on Feb 11th, '11, 06:30

Okay I don't want to stink around here or anything , I love this game afterall.

Just for supportive reasons some bugs that I found and / or suggestions from me:

- Bug: Long songs (like "The games we played" 17 mins) get unsync after a while
- Suggestion: At the end of a hold there is an arrow that looks the exact same as a normal one which can be very confusing. So if possible I would suggest to remove that one. That would be very nice for harder songs with many holds, you can easily lose the overview of what to press and what not.
- Suggestion (huge): An option for fullscreen mode to remove the lifebar OR put it at the side for landscape users. That would be a big improvement if thats possible ofcourse. Cleaner view and more use of the phone size :) I think if u put the lifebar at the side, the arrows still would be spreaded enough.
- Suggestion: Finer Music offset option. I know it's fine enough with 0.025s per change but you know how fast stepmania can be and for good players (and I think beats will be popular enough to get many good players) it is essencial finetuning.
- Bug: After pausing the game and resuming the song gets unsync alot. That atleast happened to me.
- Suggestion: To put more -x and +x pixel to the tapbox placement option. My touchscreen works around -20 - -30 px below the actual arrows and that's with -50 px already. :x I don't know if that's a good suggestion, but that would use the size of the phone a bit more if people want (landscape).

That's it for now I think, I hope I didn't forget anything but if so, I will post it in here later.

Thanks for listening and I hope you don't get me wrong with my suggestions, if it's not changeable or if you just don't want to change it (you said it's not supposed to be a stepmania clone etc.) that's fine to me :)
I just speak as a single stepmania player and his likes :)
pluri

Re: More like a report :s

Postby keripo on Feb 11th, '11, 12:52

pluri wrote:Okay I don't want to stink around here or anything , I love this game afterall.

Just for supportive reasons some bugs that I found and / or suggestions from me:

Feedback/suggestions are always welcome ; )

- Bug: Long songs (like "The games we played" 17 mins) get unsync after a while

I was somewhat expecting this to possibly become an issue for songs longer than 2 mins. When I get (lots of) free time, I'll experiment with resyncing with Kumikyoku -Lucky Star Douga- (15 min song which I'm very familiar with from back when I played SM3.9 all day long). In the past, I added a check that forced resync every xxx frames, but I found that it would often cause lag that may throw people off. Shouldn't be so much of a prob now though since Beats is far, far faster and smoother. I'll play around with adding it back after 1.5b and experiment around with nice xxx values.

- Suggestion: At the end of a hold there is an arrow that looks the exact same as a normal one which can be very confusing. So if possible I would suggest to remove that one. That would be very nice for harder songs with many holds, you can easily lose the overview of what to press and what not.

Holds were always a hacked up feature. Its far from perfection, both graphically and functionally. What I probably will do, however, is replace the faded out final arrow with a different, special hold-end image that blends well with the hold bar image. This, however, will be low priority and be done when I get around to revamping the entire game screen's graphics (such as making the health bar look better than a simple, boring rectangle).

- Suggestion (huge): An option for fullscreen mode to remove the lifebar OR put it at the side for landscape users. That would be a big improvement if thats possible ofcourse. Cleaner view and more use of the phone size :) I think if u put the lifebar at the side, the arrows still would be spreaded enough.

Good idea - I'll play around with that and see what I can do (I'm suspecting moving it to the side will overlap with falling left arrows, so I might just move it to the very bottom).

- Suggestion: Finer Music offset option. I know it's fine enough with 0.025s per change but you know how fast stepmania can be and for good players (and I think beats will be popular enough to get many good players) it is essencial finetuning.

I'll add more options to the offsets. (I, for example, actually need a .ogg offset between -0.330 and -0.340, but I convert all my .ogg to .mp3s anyway). I'd like to turn it into a slider of course, but that would involve experimenting around with Android's PreferenceActivity, aka reading through this blog post. But for 1.5b, it'll just be manual entries.

- Bug: After pausing the game and resuming the song gets unsync alot. That atleast happened to me.

Unless you are pausing a song that uses a .ogg audio file, this shouldn't happen. In fact, pausing and resuming forces an audio resync that should correct syncing issues (the initial few seconds may be a bit desynced as the game tries to re-adjust the system-synced time with the audio's reported time). Eventually, however, the syncing should come close to no less than a difference of <50ms (perfect accuracy is impossible due to the system's lag). Try turning on "Settings > Advanced Settings > Timing Debugging" and looking at the "/dXX" value that shows and tell me whats happening. Keep in mind that if the song file is .ogg, I can't do anything about it - offsyncing of .oggs are a consequence of Android's .ogg bug #11590.

- Suggestion: To put more -x and +x pixel to the tapbox placement option. My touchscreen works around -20 - -30 px below the actual arrows and that's with -50 px already. :x I don't know if that's a good suggestion, but that would use the size of the phone a bit more if people want (landscape).

The pixel displacements are actually scaled, so -50pxs may be more or less than 50 pixels depending on your physical screen size compared to standard 320x480. I'll add 60 and 70 though. The same with audio offsets, this will also eventually be turned into a slider.

Thanks for listening and I hope you don't get me wrong with my suggestions, if it's not changeable or if you just don't want to change it (you said it's not supposed to be a stepmania clone etc.) that's fine to me :)
I just speak as a single stepmania player and his likes :)

Certain gameplay features/implementations I don't plan on (or currently/conveniently can) adding (such as stops because of how the engine is implemented, and blink because I find it silly even though implementation would take less than 2 mins). Feature and gameplay tweaking suggestions, however, are always wanted and listened to. I only have one Android phone (Samsung Captivate) and so all the default values are whatever best fits on my phone. I cannot easily predict experiences on other hardware, so I have to rely on your feedback here. Not to mention that I am rather more attuned to DJ Max/Beatmania IIDX-style gameplay (as you can see with the reverse default), and so I may not see what the average player wants ; )

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Implemented