#Music tag

Suggestions that have been implemented as of the latest release.

#Music tag

Postby locofocos on Dec 17th, '10, 14:09

I have some Stepmania song packs in DWI format. I see that you plan to implement support for DWI files soon. In the mean time, I found a DWI-SM converter program than I ran on all the stepmania files. However, they wouldn't play in Beats. I opened the sample songs and a stepmania song (in SM format) in Notepad. For some reason, none of the stepmania songs have the #Music tag, and thus won't load the music in Beats. I think stepmania assumes that the mp3 and the SM file have the same name, so the tag wasn't included. As you implement DWI support, could you default to searching for an mp3 or ogg with the same filename as the SM or DWI file? Thanks! I love seeing how the program is coming so far. I don't know if this might be of any help to you, but there is a group who has made a DDR port on the PSP called PSPRevolution. It works fine with the DWI files that don't have the #music tag. Unfortunately, I don't think they have released the source code. I imagine it wouldn't hurt to ask though. PSP homebrew is programmed in C##, but I bet that the song loading code could be of some use anyways.

As a last note, I have tried manually adding in the #music tag using notepad, following the format your sample songs use. The song loads fine, but the music is WAAAY off. These are in MP3 format, not OGG. I tried playing with the lag settings in Beat, but the lag is too large to compensate this way. In some songs (Tsugaru in particular), there is a pause right before the music starts, but the notes keep scrolling here in Beats. Just another thing to put on the todo list I suppose... In the mean time I'll look for some different song packs. It's looking pretty promising though. You've got the foundation of a pretty solid app here.
locofocos

Re: #Music tag

Postby keripo on Dec 24th, '10, 16:00

locofocos wrote:I have some Stepmania song packs in DWI format. I see that you plan to implement support for DWI files soon. In the mean time, I found a DWI-SM converter program than I ran on all the stepmania files. However, they wouldn't play in Beats. I opened the sample songs and a stepmania song (in SM format) in Notepad. For some reason, none of the stepmania songs have the #Music tag, and thus won't load the music in Beats. I think stepmania assumes that the mp3 and the SM file have the same name, so the tag wasn't included. As you implement DWI support, could you default to searching for an mp3 or ogg with the same filename as the SM or DWI file? Thanks! I love seeing how the program is coming so far. I don't know if this might be of any help to you, but there is a group who has made a DDR port on the PSP called PSPRevolution. It works fine with the DWI files that don't have the #music tag. Unfortunately, I don't think they have released the source code. I imagine it wouldn't hurt to ask though. PSP homebrew is programmed in C##, but I bet that the song loading code could be of some use anyways.

As a last note, I have tried manually adding in the #music tag using notepad, following the format your sample songs use. The song loads fine, but the music is WAAAY off. These are in MP3 format, not OGG. I tried playing with the lag settings in Beat, but the lag is too large to compensate this way. In some songs (Tsugaru in particular), there is a pause right before the music starts, but the notes keep scrolling here in Beats. Just another thing to put on the todo list I suppose... In the mean time I'll look for some different song packs. It's looking pretty promising though. You've got the foundation of a pretty solid app here.

DWI support is being added in the next release (1.4b, in progress atm). The MP3 file finding stuff is already done and will also be functioning in the next release.
PSPRevolution is a port of StepMania, but Beats is a complete rewrite (aka from scratch, not a port).

Thanks for the feedback!

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Implemented