Speed and other suggestions

Ideas for the next release go here. Check the ToDo list before posting.

Speed and other suggestions

Postby pluri on Feb 9th, '11, 09:16

Hey everyone,

some of you may know me, I am pluri, one of the former best german stepmania players.

First of all I want to thank the creators and supporters of this game, it is really perfect. I have been looking for a portable version of stepmania that comes the closest to it for months (even for iPad / iPhone). Yesterday I just got my new phone (old one was Nokia5800 XM), a brandnew Samsung i9000 Galaxy. It wasn't even 30 minutes where I started looking for a stepmania app, since this new Samsung has a way better touchscreen than the Nokia. I first found Stapmania, which is a quite good app for android, but they have some serious problems with the feeling and barely options to change. Then I found Beats, I was quite impressed right away. Some graphical and improvable problems but other than that, very nice. I like the reaction of that game and there is barely lags.
So thank you for that.

As this is a suggestions forum I would like to give mine, too. I've heard that you are gonna do a upside-down update with toucharrows on the bottom, which would've been my first suggestion, so I can't wait for that.

Then I would like to suggest a speed update, the speed right now is some sort of mix between x-mod and c-mod, correct me if I'm wrong. But it would be nice if there would actually be both of that, a option for c-mods and a option for x-mods. I don't know if that is difficult to script or to build in but that would be a huge improvement that stepmania players would be very grateful for. If this is not possible, please atleast increase the speed options. The maximum right now is what, 4x ? What would be nice is like in Stepmania to make x-mods beginning with lets say 1.5x and then increasing it for 0.5 until 8 or 9. 4x is too slow for many good players.

Then, I dont know if that is on the to-do list, a songwheel with playbacks of the songs and some infos about the song: BPM, Feet/Difficulty and whatsoever. That would be huge, since everytime you have to load a song first, then go back to the menu, then start the game and just then you can see some details about the song and you can actually hear it. Just my opinion :x

So practically a improved mix of Stapmania and Beats. And there you have the perfect portable simulation of Stepmania.

Thank you again and keep up the good work guys !

Best regards,

pluri
pluri

Re: Speed and other suggestions

Postby Stasis on Feb 9th, '11, 11:10

pluri wrote:Hey everyone,

some of you may know me, I am pluri, one of the former best german stepmania players.

First of all I want to thank the creators and supporters of this game, it is really perfect. I have been looking for a portable version of stepmania that comes the closest to it for months (even for iPad / iPhone). Yesterday I just got my new phone (old one was Nokia5800 XM), a brandnew Samsung i9000 Galaxy. It wasn't even 30 minutes where I started looking for a stepmania app, since this new Samsung has a way better touchscreen than the Nokia. I first found Stapmania, which is a quite good app for android, but they have some serious problems with the feeling and barely options to change. Then I found Beats, I was quite impressed right away. Some graphical and improvable problems but other than that, very nice. I like the reaction of that game and there is barely lags.
So thank you for that.

As this is a suggestions forum I would like to give mine, too. I've heard that you are gonna do a upside-down update with toucharrows on the bottom, which would've been my first suggestion, so I can't wait for that.

Then I would like to suggest a speed update, the speed right now is some sort of mix between x-mod and c-mod, correct me if I'm wrong. But it would be nice if there would actually be both of that, a option for c-mods and a option for x-mods. I don't know if that is difficult to script or to build in but that would be a huge improvement that stepmania players would be very grateful for. If this is not possible, please atleast increase the speed options. The maximum right now is what, 4x ? What would be nice is like in Stepmania to make x-mods beginning with lets say 1.5x and then increasing it for 0.5 until 8 or 9. 4x is too slow for many good players.

Then, I dont know if that is on the to-do list, a songwheel with playbacks of the songs and some infos about the song: BPM, Feet/Difficulty and whatsoever. That would be huge, since everytime you have to load a song first, then go back to the menu, then start the game and just then you can see some details about the song and you can actually hear it. Just my opinion :x

So practically a improved mix of Stapmania and Beats. And there you have the perfect portable simulation of Stepmania.

Thank you again and keep up the good work guys !

Best regards,

pluri

I think I sorta can expect what answers keripo will give.

The reverse scroll is going to be implemented in the next update, so no worries.

Keripo is not planning to actually implement stops and speed changes in Beats. I remember seeing this somewhere :(

The new song selection screen is already planned (I think). It is in the to-do list medium priority. But it does not include a difficulty preview, which I agree it should be inside.

Hopefully got the prediction right.
Stasis

Postby keripo on Feb 9th, '11, 12:46

pluri wrote:Hey everyone,

Hi and welcome to Beats Portable ; )

So thank you for that.

You're welcome! As far as I can tell, Stapmania is an actual port of StepMania (i.e. it uses actual code from the StepMania project, probably sm-ssc), so its game engine and thus mechanics would be exactly the same as StepMania (accuracy ratings, holds, etc.). Beats, on the other hand, is a clone that was rewritten completely from scratch, based purely on inspection and rhythm-game playing experience, but specifically oriented and tweaked for touch-screen Android devices. It is not and was never intended to be an 100% exact clone of StepMania but rather a separate rhythm game engine that supports StepMania-style gameplay as well as other styles in the future (currently its just StepMania and osu! but I plan on adding Taiko and DJ Max/Beatmania IIDX style gameplay or mods). I did get in contact with hatoimo, the dev behind StapMania, however. Unfortunately, he only speaks Japanese, so collaboration won't work ; / The good thing is, we both agreed on one important thing:
Keripo wrote:P.s. I love Miku Hatsune ; 3

hatoimo wrote:I love Miku Hatsune, too.

__           _
               /iiヘ,, ‐::----::‐.._ ///ヘ
              ,/-:..´: : : : : : : : : : :::///_. ヾ\
             /::/: : : : : : : : : : : : ///|: : ヽ//
              /// : : : ヘ : : i : : : :\ヾヽ|:: : ::×
                / /: : : 」_ ヽ: ::|ヽ_:_:: : `,_ヽ',: : : : :ヽ
             /{: : :´/ _` ヽ::i´ \`: ::|::::i ',: : : : : ヽ
               /: :!: : /イ{゜:i ヽiイiテヾ :i::::|:ヘ: : : : : : ヽ
           /: : :.!:./:::代ソ   弋::ソ}|ヽ:|∠ |: : : : : : :ヽ
             /: : : :|V |:::ト,  、_  .イ: |≦-,__',: : : : : : : :ヽ
          /: : : : ,'  ヽ|  >-、-t ´ |::/|´:⌒:`',: : : : : : : : `、
           /: : : : ,'    /::::::「ii | |// i⌒i>::',: : : : : : : ::`、
        /: : : : : i     ./:::}:::::| ii |´\ /i01.i:::::::',: : : : : : : : :`、
         /: : : : : ::{   /:::::|::::::| ii |`iミY:::r-´ヘ::::::》: : : : : : : : : :: ',
        ./: : : : : : : |   \_|:::::::| ii |:::}   }ヘ:::::::i/ ',: : : : : : : : : : ',
      /: : : : : : : : |     |:::::::| ii/_ヽ∠ヽ`、:::ヘ´」',: : : : : : : : : : ::',
      ,': : : : : : : : : :',       |::::::∨ーt´--`-}::::;::ヽ:|',: : : : : : : : : : : ',
      i: : : : : : : : : : :\    \/:::::/    |;:r-:::i:! i: : : : : : : : : : : :',
       {: : : : : : : : : : :ヽ:\   /:::::::/     |:|!;i|:::| |: : : : : : : : : : : : :|
      ',: : : : : : : : : : : :\___./__:::::,'       ,':|iiii|:::|:|: : : : : : : : : : : : :|
       ヽ: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :/::,'     /:::|iiiii|::::|: : : : : : : : : : : : ::|
       \: : : : :\: : : : : : /::::ヽ{     /:::::|iiiiii|./ : : : : : : : : : : |: :|
         ` - ,,_二==-{:::::::::::::::}  ___/::::-=二´: : : : : : : : : : : :ノ: |
                  ヾ三彡   >、`ー---´: : : : : : : : : : /: :/
                        {:`ー\: : : : : : : : : : : : : /{/
                        `ー- `ー,, __ ,, -´

^_^

Yup, 1.5b should be ready and released before the end of this month. See the Updates forums.

Currently the way Beats implements speed is like a modified c-mod. It is a constant scroll speed, but spacing is based on BPM. Adding x-mod support would actually involve rewriting the entire timing engine; StepMania treats notes data as a scrolling sheet of notes that scrolls at different speeds, whereas Beats treats notes data as a sequence of notes that only have a set arrival time associated with them. As a StepMania player, I too like varying BPMs and stops, but implementing them with the current engine will not be an easy task. You can say its on my todo list, but I don't see it as something I'll have the time to work on any time soon. Keep in mind Matt (the other dev) and I are developing Beats during what little free time we have between our univ studies.

As for speed modifiers, 4.0x is the current max - you can try it out in one of the development builds. The last one I uploaded I believe was found here but if you sign up on the new Google group, I will be uploading a new development build very soon. Try that out and see what you think (I'm assuming not all your songs are under 100 BPM of course). If you still think 4.0x is too slow, just let me know and I can bump it up to 5.0x (or actually add 8.0x for the lolz).

I am very unsatisfied with the current file-browser-style song selector, so expect this to change eventually (gameplay improvements take precedence over extras improvements, however). What I'm envisioning, though, is an extra frame/box at the bottom displaying the song's banner, the multiple difficulties available, BPM info, and playback of the sample music. Rest assure that it will be done, eventually ; )

@Stasis - pretty close ; P

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby pluri on Feb 9th, '11, 16:03

Hey thanks alot there for the fast response. I tried out that new beta version that u uploaded but it crashes on full screen mode. Other than that i like it alot so far.

And i cant wait for future updates :) thanks again. I will upload some screens soon ;)
pluri

Return to Suggestions