Allow tap by dragging

Ideas for the next release go here. Check the ToDo list before posting.

Allow tap by dragging

Postby Gyathrandrik on Dec 25th, '10, 10:51

Please allow us the drag on the notefield
i.e. take MotionEvent.ACTION_MOVE into the count

It is hard to lift the thumb and press another notefield at a short time
Gyathrandrik

Re: Allow tap by dragging

Postby thedicemaster on Feb 14th, '11, 17:44

i agree.
and it's not just for ease of use, on my phone this game is almost unplayable because it has only basic multi-touch.
even when playing with both hands i get problems because my phone detects a tap immediately after a release as a swipe/jump rather than a new tap.

a lot of people with an acer liquid or nexus one probably have this problem.
thedicemaster

Postby keripo on Feb 14th, '11, 21:18

thedicemaster wrote:i agree.
and it's not just for ease of use, on my phone this game is almost unplayable because it has only basic multi-touch.
even when playing with both hands i get problems because my phone detects a tap immediately after a release as a swipe/jump rather than a new tap.

a lot of people with an acer liquid or nexus one probably have this problem.

I may look into implementing something like this when I play around with implementing osu! sliders. What I'm worried about, however, is that it is much, much easier to play with sliding as opposed to taps, and thus may skewer leaderboards. Will have to mess around with it though. Its still on my (long) To-Do list, don't worry.

On a side note, with hardware improving at a rapid pace these days, its hard convincing myself that its worth it to try supporting older devices that lack multi-touch. If you really want to fully experience gaming on your phone, you should really just buy a better phone.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby thedicemaster on Feb 15th, '11, 10:16

the phones i was talking about do have multi-touch, it's just not very accurate.
instead of getting 2 sets of x and y values the hardware reports 2 x and 2 y values separately, and uses software to determine which belongs to which finger, causing issues in rapid touch/release events, and it causes confusion when 1 touch point passes the other.
thedicemaster

Postby einhander on Feb 22nd, '11, 02:10

the Osu was a surprise after dl'ing the update i didnt know there's a new mode and i love it.

the osu mode only have tapping? wish the slider is there coz it doesnt feel like playing osu(ouendan/eba).

good luck on the project hope itll be on the next update.
einhander

Postby Patashu on Mar 10th, '11, 22:29

sliding has a tradeoff - it's easier to combo but much harder to be accurate due to the nature of sliding, so you won't be able to get top tier scores if you slide and not tap. so i'm fine with sliding and leaderboards imo
Patashu

Postby xwingace on Mar 15th, '11, 13:57

Accidentally came across yet another song that was made for keyboard, and even then only a challenge mode available (I love both Queen and Dragonforce, but the people making stepfiles to those songs sure do enjoy their challenges). I watch in astonishment as the pretty patterns briefly form on the screen before I fail miserably...

Allow tap by dragging on anything over sixteenths in Patterned Osu! mode, and you've got your sliders practically for free, seems to me. Might make all those challenge songs incredibly easy in Osu mode, though.

XWA
Anti-spam mod. PM me if you think I missed something.
xwingace

Postby keripo on Mar 15th, '11, 23:10

thedicemaster wrote:the phones i was talking about do have multi-touch, it's just not very accurate.
instead of getting 2 sets of x and y values the hardware reports 2 x and 2 y values separately, and uses software to determine which belongs to which finger, causing issues in rapid touch/release events, and it causes confusion when 1 touch point passes the other.

Nothing much I can do there other than mentioning the possibility of trading in your phone for one with better touchscreen hardware? I personally have a Samsung Captivate which supposedly detects 8 or more simultaneous touches accurately and independently.

Matt and I have been extremely busy as of late with summer internship stuff and studies (didn't end up getting any free time over the spring break to work on Beats >_<).

Due to concerns mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not too convinced about well drag-based input will be a good thing worth pursuing. Not to mention that it moves away from the rhythm-based roots of music games where accuracy is encouraged, part of why I do not consider games like Guitar Hero, where beat accuracy is ignored, as true rhythm games.

We'll see what happens when sliders are implemented (low on priority list right now though).

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions