Arrow placement and touch zones.

Ideas for the next release go here. Check the ToDo list before posting.

Arrow placement and touch zones.

Postby truxbyakuya on Dec 20th, '10, 07:09

I think that users should have the option to change the scrolling from bottom to top and instead of having to touch the arrows to activate them there should be a hidden area on the opposite end the acts as a arrow pad. People that have played step-mania and other rhythm games would probably appreciate this since they are used to this type of arrow timing and your fingers don't get in the way of the hit zone.
truxbyakuya

Re: Arrow placement and touch zones.

Postby keripo on Dec 24th, '10, 16:03

truxbyakuya wrote:I think that users should have the option to change the scrolling from bottom to top and instead of having to touch the arrows to activate them there should be a hidden area on the opposite end the acts as a arrow pad. People that have played step-mania and other rhythm games would probably appreciate this since they are used to this type of arrow timing and your fingers don't get in the way of the hit zone.

Yup, thats one of the big items on my ToDo list (http://beatsportable.com/todo/). As a Beatmania/DJ Max player, I'm use to falling down arrows, but not everyone is ; P

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby gyenming on Jan 14th, '11, 16:57

Also, one thing I found is that when I put the game into landscape, the arrows were too small, and I ended up hitting the space in between rather than the arrows. Perhaps increase the size of them, or make it so the space in between corresponds to the arrows?
I want to put it landscape as I figured that I could use four fingers, and although i could fit them on (i'm on an HTC desire HD) I couldn't hit anything properly, XD
gyenming

Postby keripo on Jan 18th, '11, 18:20

gyenming wrote:Also, one thing I found is that when I put the game into landscape, the arrows were too small, and I ended up hitting the space in between rather than the arrows. Perhaps increase the size of them, or make it so the space in between corresponds to the arrows?
I want to put it landscape as I figured that I could use four fingers, and although i could fit them on (i'm on an HTC desire HD) I couldn't hit anything properly, XD

The problem with landscape mode is that most phones are far longer than they are wide. Make the arrows too big and you won't even be able to see the falling arrows. As of the moment, I can't think of any nice layout that will avoid this issue. Best thing would to post some screenshots and pictures with suggested layouts (cause I can't think of any good ones xD)

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby thedicemaster on Feb 14th, '11, 17:54

what could perhaps work for a landscape mode is to have only a line on the bottom as target to show when you need to hit the button, and have the actual arrow-buttons on the sides.
so you kinda get a layout like with the 4-button songs in djmax portable for the psp.
i'm typing on a tablet right now so it's a bit hard to draw it.

EDIT: this is as good as i can get it without access to a pc.
thedicemaster

Postby keripo on Feb 14th, '11, 21:24

thedicemaster wrote:what could perhaps work for a landscape mode is to have only a line on the bottom as target to show when you need to hit the button, and have the actual arrow-buttons on the sides.
so you kinda get a layout like with the 4-button songs in djmax portable for the psp.
i'm typing on a tablet right now so it's a bit hard to draw it.

EDIT: this is as good as i can get it without access to a pc.

I was thinking a bit about that. Will have to break out my PSP and DJ Max Portable (I'm old-school and only play the original - I think the newer game engines with Fever/etc. make the game too easy), but I can see that as a plausible tapbox layout. Will probably end up implementing it as a separate DJ Max game mode, as well as along with a Taiko game mode...

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions