Some thoughts that I've been thinking about...

Ideas for the next release go here. Check the ToDo list before posting.

Some thoughts that I've been thinking about...

Postby Stasis on May 14th, '11, 06:50

1. Assist Ticks during autoplays. This will allow setting offsets to be a lot easier. Also it seems cooler to have it. :lol:

2. Input based speed mod. Maybe we can personally type in what multiplier we want rather than choosing presets.

3. Hallway view. Make it similar to Guitar Hero style such that the players can see a longer range. :D

4. Personal high scores in phone without using internet.

5. Extra support with gingerbread. The OGGs went crazy as all the OGG files starts at different timings. Some are early and some are slow. :?
Stasis

Re: Some thoughts that I've been thinking about...

Postby keripo on May 21st, '11, 03:08

Stasis wrote:1. Assist Ticks during autoplays. This will allow setting offsets to be a lot easier. Also it seems cooler to have it. :lol:

2. Input based speed mod. Maybe we can personally type in what multiplier we want rather than choosing presets.

3. Hallway view. Make it similar to Guitar Hero style such that the players can see a longer range. :D

4. Personal high scores in phone without using internet.

5. Extra support with gingerbread. The OGGs went crazy as all the OGG files starts at different timings. Some are early and some are slow. :?

Note: After 1.6b's release, the current iteration of Beats will be on code freeze as I will be rewriting everything as an open source, separate Beats2/Beats Portable project. See http://code.google.com/p/beatsportable/ - the new project will be written with a lot of requested features in mind.

1. I assume you mean a first-time set up calibrator? I may do that in Beats2, but it won't be a priority of course.
2. Yes, this will rely on rewritting settings loading. Beats2.
3. Beats2 xD
4. For high scores, I will be using the Scoreloop service. Don't know if they have an offline scoreboard, will have to look into that (if not, might implement my own)
5. Unfortunately Google isn't seeming to take the bug seriously ; / See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11590 - I may experiment with implementing my own music player (e.g. porting over libogg) but NDK development is messy, so no guarantees...

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby Stasis on Jun 5th, '11, 04:49

Thanks for the response.

There is however another issue that is bugging me for awhile. That is sometimes, when there are shitloads of arrows on the screen, the program will struggle and starts to slow down.

For instance this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1CJIC30Qg (Vanishment of Hatsune Miku ONI)

My frame rate drop from a steady 52-55 to a staggering 42-46, also there are a lot more hiccups in the program during those long streams.

Just to let you know. :lol:

(If you need I can help you do some stress testing in the program. I nearly always play songs with very long streams)
Stasis

Postby keripo on Jun 5th, '11, 07:10

Stasis wrote:Thanks for the response.

There is however another issue that is bugging me for awhile. That is sometimes, when there are shitloads of arrows on the screen, the program will struggle and starts to slow down.

For instance this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1CJIC30Qg (Vanishment of Hatsune Miku ONI)

My frame rate drop from a steady 52-55 to a staggering 42-46, also there are a lot more hiccups in the program during those long streams.

Just to let you know. :lol:

(If you need I can help you do some stress testing in the program. I nearly always play songs with very long streams)

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=418
keripo-songs wrote:Image
Song: 30.Hatsune Miku no Shoushitsu
Artist: cosMo@BousouP
Credit:
BPM Range: 240.0
Difficulty: EASY [13], HARD [16], CHALLENGE [19]
Song Pack: Hatsune Miku Project DIVA

Download/install prob? See here!

This is my "stress test" stepfile. At the ending series of trills, my phone (Samsung Captivate) drops down to 30FPS running Android 2.1 AT&T stock firmware (currently running CyanogenMod 7 though so need to rerun some tests). In my opinion, that's acceptable considering the processing power limitation of the phone itself and that most users don't play crazy songs like that (or are physically capable of reacting that fast finger-wise). That said, I am also aware that there are a LOT of inefficiencies in the code itself due to poor design. The easiest way to "fix" this would really just be to rewrite the program with better, more efficient design, hence Beats2 xD For now, Beats runs normal stepfiles "smoothly" on my phone when under-clocked to 400MHz, which I feel is "good enough" for Beats 1.X.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby Stasis on Jun 6th, '11, 11:50

Man this is a really hard chart. Trying it now. :x

EDIT: Stress test complete, with some disturbing results.

1. I can't pass the song, even with 100hp and damage 4. This is largely due to the last drills (will explain it later).

2. FPS drops to a lowest of 35, and have occasional hiccups (especially at the last part)

The main issue is that the program is unable to register VERY QUICK contacts with the screen, resulting in this type of songs to be near impossible to complete.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S I9000, with Android v2.3 gingerbread and Darkys' Rom 10.1.

(Oh and don't bother asking me for my score, it stinks. :roll: )
Stasis

Postby keripo on Jun 8th, '11, 22:41

Stasis wrote:Man this is a really hard chart. Trying it now. :x

1. I can't pass the song, even with 100hp and damage 4. This is largely due to the last drills (will explain it later).

2. FPS drops to a lowest of 35, and have occasional hiccups (especially at the last part)

The main issue is that the program is unable to register VERY QUICK contacts with the screen, resulting in this type of songs to be near impossible to complete.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S I9000, with Android v2.3 gingerbread and Darkys' Rom 10.1.

Are you capable of playing the song (Challenge) on StepMania itself? Because I definitely can't, so I'm not expecting it to be actually playable on Beats either...
On a side note, its a known issue that vibrations lag the game - that's an OS thing out of my control.
keripo
Site Admin

Postby Stasis on Jun 10th, '11, 00:30

keripo wrote:
Stasis wrote:Man this is a really hard chart. Trying it now. :x

Are you capable of playing the song (Challenge) on StepMania itself? Because I definitely can't, so I'm not expecting it to be actually playable on Beats either...
On a side note, its a known issue that vibrations lag the game - that's an OS thing out of my control.

I can pass (as in really, barely pass) some Challenge difficulty songs in stepmania.

But not hardcore ones like this. :lol:

Interesting to note that some songs which I cannot pass in stepmania, I can pass them in here. :shock:
Stasis

Return to Suggestions