Controls Sticking?

Bugs/crashes/problems with Beats go here. Check the FAQ and use the search function before posting.

Controls Sticking?

Postby drybones on Sep 1st, '11, 09:57

I've been playing beats since a while back and it ran great on my phone. Ever since the final release of beats the controls would stick. After one of the buttons are stuck i end up losing. It worked fine before the update. I get around 60-70 fps according to the fps monitor thing.

Info on phone:
My phone is a Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro
Rooted
Installed drivers which enable multitouch
Overclocked to 600MHz
Increased SD read and write speed to 4096kb
Installed a JIT compiler
I moved beats to the sd card using an app which enables apps to sd
Android 2.1

Before anyone says anything yes, it's rooted and a phone on android 2.1 shouldn't be able to have a JIT compiler and apps to sd. It is able to but the developers of the phone don't think so XD They also belive the phone won't be able to handle 2.2's features. Guess many people like me proved them wrong....

I tried moving beats back to the internal memory but no luck. I uninstalled the multitouch drivers and tested, nothing improved. Re-installed it everything is just the same.

I like to think it's my phone but...Well anyone got any advice?
drybones

Re: Controls Sticking?

Postby xwingace on Sep 4th, '11, 03:14

I sometimes have trouble with sticking arrows if I'm playing songs that have a lot of notes close together on adjacent arrows, but nothing like what you describe.

Until and unless someone else has a better idea,I'd advise to go back to an earlier version of Beats that *will* still let you play. Here are some older dev builds. 1.7a (r573) has about the same functionality as 1.7b, but maybe it won't have the problems? Or the try the [url=http://beatsportable.com/static/releases/]previous Market release[url]

Sorry I can't be any actual help.

XWA
Anti-spam mod. PM me if you think I missed something.
xwingace

Postby drybones on Sep 4th, '11, 18:18

Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded beats 1.7 before the final release and beats 1.6 just incase 1.7 decides to do the same :P

Btw i think your kinda mistaken. I mean the controls stick, i don't lose instantly but the controls stick for about 5-10 seconds. Enough for tonnes of notes to go by and make me lose.

EDIT: The 1.7 release before the final release will not install. Not enough memory blah blah blah, and some more blah blah blah.

I did manage to install beats 1.6 so im kinda satisfied. Too bad i can;t use the fancy new graphics and the fact they removed the note at the very end of a held note.

Hopefully some people will use the opensource one and fix the issues :D

EDIT2: I was playing around and i realized i could use the built in qwerty keyboard to play. The controls suck but...at least i can play beats 1.7 without any controls sticking.
drybones

Postby xwingace on Sep 5th, '11, 15:20

Any of the dev builds with a higher number than r536 should have the new graphics in StepMania mode. I'd advise r540, because r536 itself has some issues with menu size.

I've had that control sticking thing very rarely in some much earlier builds of beats. Nothing I'd be able to reproduce even semi-reliably. I always thought it was because I may have had sweaty or sticky fingers so that something screwed with the detection of the screen.

XWA
Anti-spam mod. PM me if you think I missed something.
xwingace

Postby pablexmax on Sep 29th, '11, 20:27

drybones wrote:I've been playing beats since a while back and it ran great on my phone. Ever since the final release of beats the controls would stick. After one of the buttons are stuck i end up losing. It worked fine before the update. I get around 60-70 fps according to the fps monitor thing.

Info on phone:
My phone is a Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro
Rooted
Installed drivers which enable multitouch
Overclocked to 600MHz
Increased SD read and write speed to 4096kb
Installed a JIT compiler
I moved beats to the sd card using an app which enables apps to sd
Android 2.1

Before anyone says anything yes, it's rooted and a phone on android 2.1 shouldn't be able to have a JIT compiler and apps to sd. It is able to but the developers of the phone don't think so XD They also belive the phone won't be able to handle 2.2's features. Guess many people like me proved them wrong....

I tried moving beats back to the internal memory but no luck. I uninstalled the multitouch drivers and tested, nothing improved. Re-installed it everything is just the same.

I like to think it's my phone but...Well anyone got any advice?

I have the same problem, and also that I have the x10 mini pro ... if someone has a particular solution would be appreciated please inform
pablexmax

Postby keripo on Oct 4th, '11, 00:18

Control sticking is probably due to the extremely asynchronous running of the graphics updating thread and the user input thread. From what I'm guessing, the graphics updating occurs on one separate independent thread, the user input is handled by the system but runs on the main UI thread, and the game engine updating probably also runs on the main UI thread. I'm not too sure to be honest. Why? Cause the entire thing is a mess of ugly hacks and was never thought out properly to run efficiently nor tested on much additional hardware apart from my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Samsung Captivate. In other words, the underlying reason to your problems: bad design xD

The released Beats source code at http://code.google.com/p/beats2/source/ ... nk%2Fbeats is the very last revision, r575. Between r575 (Beats 1.7b) and r409 (Beats 1.4b) were quite a few major changes to how graphics are displayed and input handled. Or rather, more accurately, quite a few attempted fixes that lead to improved performance on some devices and degraded performance on others. This is the consequence of trying to do all the low level stuff yourself instead of using handy-dandy game development frameworks >_<"

If you want a copy of any older revision of the Beats source code (up til Beats 1.0b - I don't have the source code to Beats 1.0a anymore), just email me and I'll zip it up for you. I will warn you, however, that your eyes might hurt from staring at bad code ; ) Your other choices are to try to fix Beats 1.7b yourself or to wait until I get around to working on Beats2 (guaranteed release deadline of my graduation day, May 2012), which will be using the libgdx.

~Keripo
keripo
Site Admin

Postby drybones on Oct 8th, '11, 06:03

A late reply however...

Recently i managed to install a custom 2.3.5 rom(with all of android 2.3.5 shiny new features) which has the same multitouch code as the one i used before the rom. Now the controls dont freeze 0_o

EDIT: BTW i only installed the 2.3.5 rom so i can get minecraft pocket edition yesterday :p Not compatible :/, even tried the demo apk. At least it got beats running much better.

Keripo@

I would try and code but i don't now how to code XD

Hopefully Beats 2 would run better :D
drybones

Return to Support